Monday, December 05, 2005

What do you know about bees and cold weather?

You don't know how many people have asked me how we keep our bees warm in the winter. We use screen bottom boards on our hives so the whole bottom of the hive is basically open. We do not close the hives for winter, even though we are here in Oklahoma where it can get very cold. So, how cold do you think it gets in the hive over the winter? What do you think bees do in the winter? I'm interested to know just how much you guys know about this aspect of bees. Let me know........

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ross Conrad mentions using screened bottoms year-round in Vermont and says they do just fine. He says the bees do not actually have to heat the hive, just the inside of the cluster. I left a screened bottom on my hive all winter as well, in Tennessee.

5/08/2008 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home